Koushouji (Koshoji, superliteral reading "Spread Correct Temple", or more figuratively "Evangelion Temple") is a True Pure Land Buddhist monastery of the Shinshuu Koushouha ("True Pure Land Evangelistos").
In 1591 Koushouji and Honganji moved to its present site and operated like a single temple. The original Koushouji temple took 128 years to complete and was designated one of the Three Greatest Architectures of Japan. In 1876, the 27th head priest, Honjaku Shonin, declared Koushouji an independent temple and established the Shinshuu Koushouha.
Koushouji burned down again in 1902 in an accident. The 28th head priest, Honjo Shonin, rebuilt the complex as it was before. It was completed in only 10 years.
Part of the Koushouji complex is a modern building called the Koushou Kaikan (Evangelion Meeting Hall). This includes a dining room for visitors and guests, and an overpriced restaurant. They also teach English and yoga. High schools frequently stay there in the fall.